FEMA Elevation Certificate
Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA)
Letter of Map Revision (LOMR)

What is a Flood Elevation Certificate?

A FEMA Flood Elevation Certificate is required by insurance companies to determine coverage eligibility and insurance rates based on the risk of flood on a designated property.

An Elevation Certificate is also necessary for:

  • A Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA) or Letter of Map Revision (LOMR).
  • Some community planning or local emergency management to ensure compliance with floodplain management ordinances.
  • Requesting support for removing a building from a high flood risk area (rare instances).

To obtain a FEMA Elevation Certificate, a professional land surveyor uses FEMA data, combined with a field survey of the property, to document the areas of flood hazards that may affect the property.

The Flood Elevation Certificate includes the Colorado Registration stamp or seal with the professional surveyor’s original signature with certification.

On a side note, wondering how FEMA determines if your property is in a flood zone? (And is there any way to change that designation?)

The Federal Emergency Management Agency establishes flood zones and creates flood maps based on elevation, flood hazards and other factors. FEMA flood zones are re-evaluated and modified every ten years.

If you don’t agree with FEMA designation of your property, Central Rockies Land Surveying can also provide additional required documents, including a FEMA Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA) and a Letter of Map Revision (LOMR). Both a Letter of Map Amendment and a Letter of Map Revision must include an Elevation Certificate.

Need help with FEMA flood certificates? Contact us to learn more.